Let's talk about the question about sealant.
Creating a comfortable, safe and reliable living environment will inevitably rely on safe and environmentally friendly decoration materials. Although not very attractive, the sealant is widely used in every corner of the home, such as door and window seams, basin seams, baseboards and so on. Today, I will also talk to you about how to analyze and solve various common problems in the face of sealant.
Why does the sealant crack and degumming?
1. Design defects: the joint interface should be designed as two-sided bonding to ensure that the sealant can move with the joint after sealing; at the same time, avoid the three-sided bonding, because the three-sided bonding causes the sealant to be unevenly stressed and easy to tear. .
2. Improper glue selection: Because the thermal expansion coefficients of different substrates are different, some substrates with large thermal expansion coefficient have large interface displacement in the environment with large temperature difference between day and night; in addition, some interfaces are in a vibrating environment. Causes the interface to be large. Under these conditions, if a sealant with a lower elongation is selected, the sealant is easily cracked.
3. Insufficient cleaning: Before construction, if there are contaminants in the joints, it will affect the colloidal adhesion, which will lead to cracking or degumming. Therefore, before construction, it is necessary to ensure that the joints are fully cleaned, and appropriate maintenance time is reserved after the angle of view.
Why does the sealant have wrinkle shrinkage after curing?
1. The construction thickness is too thin: if the sizing is too thin, it will shrink and wrinkle after curing. This phenomenon can be reduced by increasing the thickness of the sizing according to the appropriate width of the desired sealing gap. According to the actual situation of the sealed interface, it is recommended to apply glue 6-12mm.
2. The quality of the sealant is not good: some sealants add an excessive amount of plasticizer (white oil) in the production process. When the sealant has a certain degree of volatilization during the curing process, the volume of the glue will become smaller. Thus the colloid will shrink and wrinkle.
Why does the sealant have oil seepage?
The quality of the sealant is not good: some manufacturers strive to win customers at low prices, add excessive inferior white oil instead of silicone polymer, and produce cheap and low-quality sealant, while the white oil and sealant system have poor compatibility. Caused the occurrence of oil seepage.
Why do you find a lot of foaming in the sealant during construction?
1. Problems with construction tools: Pneumatic guns are used during construction. Due to excessive pressure, a large amount of gas is brought from the tail into the entire rubber, bringing a lot of foaming. At this point, the pressure of the pneumatic gun should be lower to reduce the gas or to use the manual gun.
2. Poor quality of sealant: Some manufacturers on the market have mixed gas in the packaging process due to unqualified packaging technology. In addition, if the manufacturer evaluates insufficient packaging materials, the sealant and packaging materials react to make the packaging material swell. It is easy to cause gas to penetrate.
In addition, if there is a small amount of foaming at the end of the package, it is normal, because the vibration during transportation or the temperature difference during storage will cause piston movement between the hose and the tail plug, then a small amount of air will enter with the piston movement. Into the glue.
Why do you need a mildew sealant between the kitchen and the bathroom?
A humid environment can easily become a breeding mold. And the more humid the environment, the easier it is to mold. The mildew spots not only affect the aesthetics of the living environment, but also may have health risks. Therefore, it is recommended that you use a sealant with mildew resistance in a space with a relatively high humidity such as kitchen and bathroom. The mold proof sealant achieves the anti-mildew effect by adding an antibacterial agent in the sealant.
However, the use of mold-proof glue can not be done once and for all, and the antibacterial agent will be gradually consumed over time. Therefore, in the daily life, it is necessary to maintain good ventilation between the kitchen and the bathroom, and to timely remove the residual detergent, shower gel and soap on the surface of the joint. At the same time, it is recommended that the kitchen and bathroom be in a high humidity environment, and sealant repairs should be carried out from time to time.
Why does the sealant turn yellow after a period of use?
A: The yellowing of silicone sealants is mostly caused by certain substances in the external environment. For example, volatiles from cleaning agents and other building materials can cause the silicone sealant to turn yellow.
Therefore, indoor ventilation should be strengthened in daily life. It is recommended to use the sealant in time to clean it up. Try to avoid contact between silicone sealant and neoprene or EPDM seals.
Can I get all the home improvement with just one type of sealant?
A: The answer is NO. Because different home decoration parts have different joint materials and different requirements, it is not recommended to use one type of glue in all home decoration parts. Otherwise, it may be counterproductive. At present, there are four different types of sealants or adhesives commonly used in the market, such as neutral, acidic, alcoholic and hybrid. Different high-quality silicone sealants can be selected at different positions to achieve better sealing effect.