Easy to ignore sealants during home renovations.
In recent days, the country has entered the "rapid freezing" mode, with severe cold winds in the north and rain and snow in the south. Various heating artifacts have appeared: plumbing, electric heating, floor heating, air conditioning heating, and even warming the baby, etc., all the tricks that can be thought of are used. But why do some of my friends still feel that the temperature is low at home? The doors and windows are closed and the heating is sufficient, but the indoor temperature is still not up to standard (room temperature 18 degrees Celsius). What is the problem?
Maybe you only consider heating, but ignore the warmth of the room. In the common sense of many people, everything is fine as long as the doors and windows are closed, but it is not known that if the doors and windows are not properly sealed, the cold cold wind will penetrate through the gaps, which will greatly reduce the insulation effect at home. The least known and most easily overlooked "invisible substance" is called sealant.
What is a sealant?
If you have installed doors, windows or toilets in your home, you may find that in the end, the decoration master will apply a layer of glue to the connection between the doors, windows or toilets and the wall or floor tile. This kind of thing is what we want to tell you today.
Sealant, as the name suggests, is a kind of sealing material with a certain adhesion. It can deform with the shape of the surface of the object and is not easy to flow. The sealant is usually used to fill the configuration gap to provide a sealing effect. Therefore, the sealant has the functions of anti-leakage, waterproof, anti-vibration, sound insulation and heat insulation. So although the sealant is inconspicuous, it is very important for decoration. A good sealant must have both flexibility and adhesion.
Let's start with flexibility. There are many factors that affect flexibility. In summary, there are 4 factors:
Weather resistance: In any severe weather, even in extreme environments, it can maintain its effectiveness without being "cracked" when stretched and compressed.
Elongation: Percentage of length increase relative to sealed collagen.
Displacement capacity: The amount of tension and / or compression that the sealant can withstand relative to the original seam width.
Tensile strength and strain: the sealant can adapt to temperature, shrink or deform the base material, the resistance and the range of resistance that the sealant can withstand.
For adhesion, the key considerations are adhesive strength and tear resistance. The former is used to measure the adhesion of the sealant to the substrate, and the latter is the ability of the joint to resist mechanical damage.
Other key properties such as: curing time, abrasion resistance, surface drying time, UV resistance, water immersion resistance, solvent corrosion resistance, etc. will affect the quality of the sealant.
What are the tips for choosing sealants?
There are many types of sealants on the market. How to choose the right sealant for ordinary home decoration?
1. Select the corresponding sealant adhesive according to the type, performance, bonding area and stiffness of the required bonding material. Generally, the properties of the required bonding material should be similar to those of the sealant adhesive.
2. Select the corresponding sealant adhesive according to the conditions of bonding construction, because weather, light, heat, moisture, fungi and other factors will affect the bonding strength.
3. Select according to the use site, avoid using multi-purpose universal glue.
5. It is not suitable to use ordinary cement-based bonding for ventilation channels or metal, wood and other grass-roots or high-temperature environments. Paste construction sealant adhesive or flexible cement mortar should be used.
6. For liquid and paste sealant adhesives, in addition to considering their physical performance indicators, they also need to consider their environmental performance, whether they contain harmful substances such as formaldehyde, toluene, xylene, etc. For powder adhesives, environmental protection performance is basically not considered, because formaldehyde , Toluene, xylene and other harmful substances will not exist in the dry powder.
7. The quality of silicone sealant is stable, the effect is long-lasting, not as high as the shrinkage rate of acrylic system. Therefore, silicone sealants are extremely cost-effective, especially when used in kitchens and bathrooms.
8. Acidic silicone sealant has excellent adhesion to the surface of common substrates such as glass or ceramics in bathrooms or kitchens. When sealing metal, plastic or concrete substrates, a neutral sealant must be used. Neutral silicone sealants are particularly suitable for non-corrosive sealing of joints and expansion joints.
9, silicone sealant can be used for sealing, two sides are bonded to maintain elasticity. Silicone sealants cannot be used as adhesives, which are usually more rigid.
10. Most silicone sealants are not paintable. If you want to paint, choose a hybrid or acrylic sealant. It is recommended to apply a coating to the surface before applying the silicone sealant.
There are many types of sealants in the market. The classification of sealant base polymers can be divided into silicone type, polysulfide type, acrylic type, polyurethane type, styrene-butadiene rubber type and butyl rubber type. Silicone weathering sealant is a very common strong adhesive in home building materials. It can be used not only for waterproof joint seals in toilets, bathrooms, kitchens, but also for curtain wall joint seals and various glass assembly engineering bonding seals .
Of course, although the sealant is an important barrier to prevent cold air from entering, it is also necessary to pay attention to whether there is a large gap between the door and window structure that will cause the infiltration of cold air, such as the gap between windows, the gap between windows and window frames The gap between the bottom of the door and the door frame, etc. Therefore, Xiaobian also recommends several commonly used sealing products at home. You can add secondary sealing to doors and windows, so that cold wind in winter and mosquitoes in summer will no longer be a problem.
The bottom of the door is sealed with a silicone strip, which can be used in a variety of scenarios. Installation is easy and simple.